Sunday, June 10, 2007

1st days

Well, this is Hope's mom again. I have had limited communication with Hope but was so grateful that Mary Dudley allowed both girls to call home on her cell phone when she arrived. Rather than paraphrase this is from Mary:
She said they were doing great and that Nastia (a young volunteer who offered to host Hope and Maria) has been just super. They had just finished visiting Julia (18 yrs old) who had to move from the orphanage and is now at a home for the elderly which does not have a lift or elevators. Julia is in a wheel chair. She will be the first former child from the orphanage to move to the village. Julia called Sergei while we were in the car and he put her on the speakerphone. She said that Hope and Maria were really nice girls and that Hope gave her a beautiful concert and several of the babushka's (grandmothers) came in to listen also!

I know they went to a clinic to get their blood work done. They have to be tested for AIDS, among other things in order to be allowed to help in the orphanage for a prolonged period. Their results are ready tomorrow morning so that will be their 1st official day. I will see them on Saturday or Sunday as I am taking a visitor to the zoo and want to take one of the children in the orphanage so I invited Hope and Maria to come along. Next week-end I am going to take them to an outdoor market where they can buy some souvenirs and other things if they want. I also plan to have them come into the city and will take them out for a meal. After the Russian food at the orphanage and at Nastia's they just might need a more American/European meal.

Well, all for now but I will write as I have news of them and we hopefully will find internet access for them soon!
Mary
Well, that's all for now. I'm sure they are both doing great.

No comments: