Saturday, June 16, 2007

Boris

There's a little baby I met at the orphanage that made me cry. He is in one of the groups where the children stay in their beds all day (some tied up so they don't hurt themselves). I went in there to help feed and then I saw him. At first I thought he was a girl because of how fragile and delicate he is. His skin is almost see-through white and his arms about 3 fingers in thickness. I was rubbing the children because they like it so much when I came to him. He has the biggest eyes you have ever seen with lashes so long they touch his skin when his eyes are closed. He is the prettiest baby. I started rubbing him and he grabbed my finger and held it. His body is so deformed. I felt his ribcage and it does not separate in front - I think it's all one mass of bone. His nose is slightly deformed and has a cleft lip, but if you saw him you'd think he was an angel. I asked Nastia about him later and she said he's 8 years old. I usually can tell the age of children by the length of their legs or how decayed their teeth are. I had not noticed with Boris because he has no teeth and his legs are all mangled. When he was holding my finger he looked into my eyes adn gave me the biggest smile you've ever seen. That's when I started crying. I went back the next day to see him but the caretaker did not like me there because I could bring infections and all the children in there are so weak. I will try to gain their trust so they might let me hold him. Nastia said once she took him outside but his nose started pouring blood and he felt so bad. I wish there was something I could do for him. I went back later and was told he was at the hospital. Nastia says he has to go there about twice a month. I will try again tomorrow and see if I can find him.

No comments: